13 March 2009

Panic

Sometimes this is what taking public transportation in London feels like!
The image actually belongs to an advert for a company that repairs windshield--er, windscreen--cracks, but staring at the fierce, grouchy face during my bus ride still made me smile. I think I may have shown you this Space Invader mosaic near Borough Market before, but here it is again,
along with another one I spotted closer to the Thames.
Although the market was full of numerous temptations, somehow most of my photos ended up being of cheese!


When I saw a familiar sight at one of the pastry stalls, I made a quick purchase and then made my way through the crowd to grab the logical accompaniment at Monmouth:
So, was this Porto in London? Well, sadly, not quite. The tart wasn't quite as light, the filling wasn't quite as rich, and the coffee wasn't quite as good. Don't get me wrong--my macchiato and pastel de nata made for a lovely break, but Porto it wasn't, in taste or price. After I finished browsing, I walked toward and then along the Thames, passing an artist in the process of capturing the market,
with plenty of nearby colour to keep him inspired.
This was the second time today that a spidery crack caught my attention:
Although located within postcode SE1, this sign posits a new postcode for the area, P(ure)W(rist)1, and renames the street as well:
According to someone out there, it's a small step from a CCTV state to the Nazi Party.The script at the bottom of this next image says, "The Rose Window in the west gable of the Great Hall of the London Palace of the Bishops of Winchester (taken from an etching dated 1884 by courtesy of the Guildhall Library, City of London)." Considering the number of bricked-in windows in London, it would be amazing if more of them featured something like this:
There's usually music in this passageway near Blackfriars Bridge, and today was no exception:

No comments: