5 February 2009

Remember

I spent some time in the British Museum today, and although I've seen quite a bit of the collection during previous visits, I can always find interesting pieces here that I don't remember seeing before, like this piece of onyx from the 3rd century AD, showing a hand grabbing an ear, with the Greek inscription, "Remember;"
this Etruscan bronze bust of a goddess and bird, dating to 600-575 BC;
and this shell, thought to have held cosmetics and carved with a human face, dating to 700-650 BC.
I've seen the Parthenon sculptures (also known as the Elgin Marbles, after Lord Elgin, who sold them to the British Parliament in 1816) on previous visits, but something about them is always eerily captivating. Here's just a small section, featuring (from right to left) a girl moving away from two seated figures, while the god of wine reclines on a rock covered with an animal skin. (His missing right hand is thought to have held a cup of wine.)

No comments: