17 May 2008

Commuter Sights

As I wound my way around Baker Street station today, trying to find my tube platform (it's a particularly convoluted station), my navigation was made even more, um, interesting by the fact that there was a big football game at Wembley this afternoon and a seemingly endless number of blue-jersey-wearing, singing, somewhat drunk fans were also searching for the tube platform that would get them to the game. (Unfortunately, this was also my platform, but luckily I only rode the tube a few stops, and got off way before the stadium!) Anyway, with all the fans (and an almost equal number of police, who always patrol affected tube stations on game days) and my rush to get on the train, I almost missed this strange sight right at the platform entrance:
The plaque reads, "12 inch high explosive shell presented by Messrs Vickers Ltd. Barrow Works. Donations to the Railway Benevolent Institution for Disabled and Distressed Railwaymen Widows and Orphans," and there is a slot in the shell for donations. Considering the typical London commuter's frantic rush in tube stations, I wonder how many people notice this sight, never mind donate to the cause? I was the only person in the crowd who stopped to read the plaque, and instead of glancing to see what had caught my attention, people behind me seemed annoyed that I had interrupted the flow of movement and quickly detoured around the obstacle to shove their way toward a waiting spot on the crowded platform.

No comments: